There is a paucity of pediatric data addressing the complex relationship between primary headaches and sleep disturbances. Our study objective was to explore headache-related factors that predict sleep disturbance and to compare sleep complaints with other forms of headache-related disability among youth with migraines.
A prospective cohort study was conducted in patients 10-18 years old with migraine or probable migraine and without daily sleep complaints. The patients completed a 90-day internet-based headache diary. On headache days, patients rated headache intensity, answered Pediatric Migraine Disability Assessment-based questions modified for daily scoring, and reported sleep disturbances that resulted as a direct effect of proximate headaches.
Fifty-two patients generated 4680 diary entries, 984 patients (21%) involved headaches. Headache intensity (P = 0.009) and timing of headache onset (P < 0.001) were predictive of sleep disturbances. Three Pediatric Migraine Disability Assessment-based items were also associated with sleep disturbances: partial school-day absence (P = 0.04), recreational activities prevented (P < 0.001), and decreased functioning during recreational activities (P < 0.001). Sleep disturbances correlated positively and significantly with daily headache disability scores (rpb = 0.35; P < 0.01).
We conclude that specific headache factors predict sleep disturbances among youth with primary headaches.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Pediatric Neurology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- A 40-year follow-up of school children with migraine.Cephalalgia. 1997; 17: 488-491
- Prevalence of headache and migraine in school children.BMJ. 1994; 309: 765-769
- Clinical and demographic characteristics of migraine in urban children.Headache. 1997; 37: 269-276
- Epidemiology of migraine among students from randomly selected secondary schools in Lodz.Headache. 1999; 39: 494-501
- PedMIDAS: development of a questionnaire to assess disability of migraines in children.Neurology. 2001; 57: 2034-2039
- Development and testing of the Migraine Disability Assessment (MIDAS) Questionnaire to assess headache-related disability.Neurology. 2001; 56: S20-S28
- Primary headache and sleep disturbances in adolescents.Headache. 2007; 47: 1189-1194
- Serotonin effects on sleep and emotional disorders in adolescent migraine.Headache. 2009; 49: 1486-1492
- Prevalence of headache and its association with sleep disorders in children.Pediatr Neurol. 2007; 36: 146-151
- Prevalence of sleep disorders in childhood and adolescence with headache: a case-control study.Cephalalgia. 1997; 17: 492-498
- Sleep disturbance in children with migraine.J Child Neurol. 2006; 21: 761-766
- Migraine headaches and sleep disturbances in children.Headache. 2003; 43: 362-368
- Sleep quality versus sleep quantity: relationships between sleep and measures of health, well-being and sleepiness in college students.J Psychosom Res. 1997; 42: 583-596
- Sleep schedules and daytime functioning in adolescents.Child Dev. 1998; 69: 875-887
- Characterization of chronic daily headaches in children in a multidisciplinary headache center.Neurology. 2001; 56: 1032-1037
- Subjective sleep disturbances in adolescents with chronic pain: relationship to daily functioning and quality of life.J Pain. 2005; 6: 201-207
- Sleep and quality of life in the Austrian population.Acta Neurol Scand. 2000; 102: 249-257
- The relationship of nocturnal headaches to sleep stage patterns.Neurology. 1970; 20: 513-518
- Nocturnal and early morning headaches.Ann Clin Res. 1985; 17: 243-246
- Migraine attacks and sleep in children.Cephalalgia. 2000; 20: 580-584
- Sleep hygiene and migraine in children and adolescents.Cephalalgia. 1999; 19: 57-59
- Comparing patient and parent recall of 90-day and 30-day migraine disability using elements of the PedMIDAS and an Internet headache diary.Cephalalgia. 2014; 34: 298-306
- The International Classification of Headache Disorders: 2nd edition.Cephalalgia. 2004; 24: 9-160
- Parent-child agreement in the reporting of headaches in a national sample of adolescents.J Child Neurol. 2012; 27: 61-67
- A six-item short-form survey for measuring headache impact: the HIT-6.Qual Life Res. 2003; 12: 963-974
- Sleep patterns in children and adolescents with functional recurrent abdominal pain: objective versus subjective assessment.Acta Paediatr. 2004; 93: 677-680
Published online: July 14, 2014
Accepted: July 4, 2014
Received: May 21, 2014
© 2014 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.