We aimed to determine the midterm effect of a ketogenic diet on serum lipid levels, carotid intima-media thickness, and the elastic properties of the carotid artery and the aorta in patients with intractable epilepsy.
A total of 52 children aged between 12 months and 18 years with intractable epilepsy who started the ketogenic diet from September 2014 to September 2015 were included into this prospective study. Carotid intima-media thickness and the elastic properties of the carotid artery and the aorta were assessed by echocardiography in all cases before beginning of the ketogenic diet and after at least 12 months on the ketogenic diet.
Twenty-one patients at the third month and 25 patients at the first year of the ketogenic diet were seizure free. A reduction of greater than 90% in the seizure frequency was achieved in three patients at the sixth month and in five patients at the first year of the treatment. The serum levels of total cholesterol, low-density lipoprotein, and triglyceride were increased significantly at a median of 12.6 months (range: 12 to 13.5 months) of the ketogenic diet treatment, whereas serum levels of high-density lipoprotein did not change. Carotid intima-media thickness, aortic and carotid strain, the stiffness index, distensibility, and elastic modulus did not change after 12 months of the ketogenic diet therapy.
Olive oil–based ketogenic diet appears to have no disturbing effect on the carotid intima-media thickness and the elastic properties of the aorta and the carotid artery in epileptic children, although it may be associated with increased concentrations of serum lipids.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Pediatric Neurology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Effects of ketogenic diet on vascular function.Eur J Paediatr Neurol. 2014; 18: 489-494
- The short-term effect of ketogenic diet on carotid intima-media thickness and elastic properties of the carotid artery and the aorta in epileptic children.J Child Neurol. 2015; 30: 1646-1650
- The impact of the ketogenic diet on arterial morphology and endothelial function in children and young adults with epilepsy: a case-control study.Seizure. 2014; 23: 260-265
- Management and risk factors for dyslipidemia with the ketogenic diet.J Child Neurol. 2008; 23: 758-761
- Efficacy and tolerability of the ketogenic diet according to lipid:nonlipid ratios – comparison of 3:1 with 4:1 diet.Epilepsia. 2007; 48: 801-805
- Effect of a high-fat ketogenic diet on plasma levels of lipids, lipoproteins, and apolipoproteins in children.JAMA. 2003; 290: 912-920
- Noninvasive assessment of subclinical atherosclerosis in children and adolescents: recommendations for standard assessment for clinical research: a scientific statement from the American Heart Association.Hypertension. 2009; 54: 919-950
- Relation of extent of extracranial carotid artery atherosclerosis as measured by B-mode ultrasound to the extent of coronary atherosclerosis.Arterioscler Thromb. 1991; 11: 1786-1794
- Noninvasive assessment of arterial stiffness and risk of atherosclerotic events.Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2003; 23: 554-566
- Early- and late-onset complications of the ketogenic diet for intractable epilepsy.Epilepsia. 2004; 45: 1116-1123
- Can children with hyperlipidemia receive ketogenic diet for medication-resistant epilepsy?.J Child Neurol. 2013; 28: 479-483
- Long term effects of ketogenic diet in obese subjects with high cholesterol level.Mol Cell Biochem. 2006; 286: 1-9
- The ketogenic diet: 1997.Adv Pediatr. 1997; 44: 297-329
- Ketogenic diet in the treatment of childhood epilepsy.Dev Med Child Neurol. 1977; 19: 833-834
- Accruing evidence on benefits of adherence to the Mediterranean diet on health: an updated systematic review and meta-analysis.Am J Clin Nutr. 2010; 92: 1189-1196
- A systematic review of the evidence supporting a causal link between dietary factors and coronary heart disease.Arch Intern Med. 2009; 169: 659-669
- Carotid intima-media thickness is inversely associated with olive oil consumption.Atherosclerosis. 2008; 196: 742-748
- Stiffness of the aortic wall in hypercholesterolemic children.Metabolism. 1999; 48: 55-59
- Relation of serum lipoprotein levels and systolic blood pressure to early atherosclerosis. The Bogalusa Heart Study.N Engl J Med. 1986; 314: 138-144
- Aortic stiffness in young patients with heterozygous familial hypercholesterolemia.Am Heart J. 1998; 135: 604-608
- Carotid intimal-medial thickness and stiffness are not affected by hypercholesterolemia in uncomplicated essential hypertension.Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 1999; 19: 2788-2794
- Effects of aging on changing arterial compliance and left ventricular load in a northern Chinese urban community.Circulation. 1983; 68: 50-58
- Different effects of hypertension, atherosclerosis and hyperlipidaemia on arterial distensibility.J Hypertens. 1995; 13: 1712-1717
Published online: November 26, 2015
Accepted: October 31, 2015
Received: October 2, 2015
© 2016 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.