- Harden C.L.
- Meador K.J.
- Pennell P.B.
- et al.
|Total||N = 89|
|Race, n (%)|
|Ethnicity, n (%)|
|Not Hispanic/Latino||40 (45)|
|Primary language, n (%)|
|Insurance status, n (%)|
|Total||N = 219|
|Median [IQR], (range)||(12-18)|
|# of ASMs per subject||1 [1-3]|
|Median [IQR], (range)||(0-9)|
|Teratogenic medication, n (%)|
|Provider gender, n (%)|
|Provider level, n (%)|
|# of visits per subject||2 [1-3 5]|
|Median [IQR], (range)||(1-8)|
Prevalence of reproductive health counseling
Factors affecting reproductive health counseling
Summary of results
Context in literature
Significance of findings
- Practice parameter update: management issues for women with epilepsy--focus on pregnancy (an evidence-based review): teratogenesis and perinatal outcomes: report of the Quality Standards Subcommittee and Therapeutics and Technology Assessment Subcommittee of the American Academy of Neurology and American Epilepsy Society.Neurology. 2009; 73: 133-141
- Population based, prospective study of the care of women with epilepsy in pregnancy.BMJ. 2000; 321: 674-675
- Prevalence of highly effective contraception use by women with epilepsy.Neurology. 2019; 92: e2815-e2821
- Interactions between hormonal contraception and antiepileptic drugs: clinical and mechanistic considerations.Seizure. 2015; 28: 66-70
- Do anticonvulsants reduce the efficacy of oral contraceptives?.Epilepsia. 1979; 20: 519-525
- Contraception for women with epilepsy: counseling, choices, and concerns.Open Access J Contracept. 2016; 7: 69-76
- Clinical pharmacokinetic interactions between antiepileptic drugs and hormonal contraceptives.Expert Rev Clin Pharmacol. 2010; 3: 183-192
- Major congenital malformations in children of women with epilepsy.Seizure. 2015; 28: 46-50
- Malformation rates in children of women with untreated epilepsy.Drug Saf. 2004; 27: 197-202
- Counseling by epileptologists affects contraceptive choices of women with epilepsy.Epilepsy Behav. 2016; 65: 1-6
- Interactions between hormones and epilepsy.Seizure. 2015; 28: 3-11
- Management of epilepsy in women.Lancet Neurol. 2019; 18: 481-491
- Health issues for women with epilepsy: a descriptive survey to assess knowledge and awareness among healthcare providers.J Womens Health Gend Based Med. 2000; 9: 959-965
- Sexual and reproductive healthcare for adolescent and young adult women with epilepsy: a qualitative study of pediatric neurologists and epileptologists.Epilepsy Behav. 2020; 104: 106911
- A mixed-methods exploration of the contraceptive experiences of female teens with epilepsy.Seizure. 2014; 23: 629-635
- Antiepileptic drugs: are women aware of interactions with oral contraceptives and potential teratogenicity?.Epilepsy Behav. 2009; 14: 640-644
- Interactions between antiepileptic drugs and hormonal contraception.CNS Drugs. 2002; 16: 263-272
- An overview of consent to reproductive health services by young people [Internet]. Guttmacher Institute.(Available at:)https://www.guttmacher.org/state-policy/explore/overview-minors-consent-lawDate: 2016Date accessed: February 18, 2022
- Are electronic medical records trustworthy? Observations on copying, pasting and duplication.AMIA Annu Symp Proc. 2003; 2003: 269-273
- The 21st century cures act.N Engl J Med [Internet]. 2015; 373: 1677-1680
All coauthors have read and agreed to the content of the manuscript.
Conflict of interest and source of funding statement: The authors declare no conflict of interest or financial disclosures concerning the materials or methods used in this study or the findings specified in this article.
Ethical publication statement: We confirm that we have read the Journals position on issues involved in ethical publication and affirm that this report is consistent with those guidelines.